Sunday 13 May 2007

12 Adventures in Nijmegen

Photo: from a dutch Naturists (nudists) site.

Not that I would want to compare Nijmegen to Antwerp or anything but the guide book '12 Adventures in Antwerp' has inspired me to rack my brains and think of 12 exciting things to do in Nijmegen. I'm going to make a start here, and I might not finish until I've finished my time here (at the end of the year) but I think I'll get there.
(drum roll)

Number 1: De Thermen
A sauna-complex that has been rated number 3 in the Netherlands (not sure how to but I really want to find out which are numbers 1 and 2!). There are many different saunas - very nice of different temperatures with nice wood smells in them. Also different spas. My favourite part is the steam room in a middle-eastern theme: blue and white tiles, a turkish-style fountain, pin-point lights in the ceiling that change colour and a round pool to sit in when you get too hot and very soothing music. De Thermen aren't very expensive - you can go in for 20 euros, but you might be tempted to relax around the artificial fire in the restaurant/bar and spend money on food and drinks later. The food isn't bad. If you have your own bathrobe and thongs (flip-flops) bring them. Clothes are generally forbidden, it is mixed at all times but you must wear a bathrobe in the restaurant/bar. The website has the address:
http://www.thermen.com/index.htm

There is another sauna-complex in Nijmegen: The sanadome. This is part of a resort hotel with more of a corporate-feel and much busier. It's main appeal is a big round pool outside - especially nice in the winter. De Thermen only has a small outside pool between the building and a fence.

2. Duivelsberg Pannekoekenhuis (Devil's mountain Pancake house)
In the warmer weather, it's a nice bike ride up to this Pancake house in the forest. I recommend the buckwheat pancake with blackberries. I un-recommend the savoury pancakes (although the flesh-oriented might be tempted by the local bacon and apple pancake). It's only open until 8pm I think, but it is nice in the evening as the sun sets.

http://www.pannenkoek.nl/intro-duivelsberg.html

3. Musicmeeting
A world music festival, held over Pinksterweekend every year. See blog above for all the details.


..... to be continued

No comments: